Savoury Vegan Mushroom BrothBotanica Health
November 15, 2017
We’ve all read about the importance of sipping ‘broths’ for health and immunity purposes – particularly ‘bone’ broth. But a vegan broth made from mushrooms truly stands out on top. Mushrooms are a reliable source of protein, antioxidants, and selenium. Plus, they’re rich in copper which is necessary for building healthy red blood cells. Lace them with a concentrated medicinal mushroom tincture such as Botanica’s Seven Medicinal Mushrooms and you are concentrating on their unique nutritional compounds while protecting your immune cells.
Cuisine: Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Broth - Makes 1.5L
- 2 x ½ oz (14 g) dried mushrooms such as porcini and portabella
- ½ lb (250 g) shitake mushrooms, sliced
- ½ lb (250 g) crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Vidalia sweet onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 large shallots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 large Russian garlic cloves, chopped, optional
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) blonde miso paste, plus extra
- 1 tsp (5 mL) whole peppercorns
- 2 fresh bay leaves
Broth in a Cup
- 1 cup (250 mL) mushroom broth
- ½ tsp (2 mL) Botanica Seven Medicinal Mushrooms
- ½ chopped green onion
- Celery leaves, optional
1. Place dried mushrooms in a bowl and cover with 1 cup (250 mL) boiling water. Stir in and set aside.
2. Place remaining ingredients in a large heavy stockpot along with 12 cups (3 L) water. Bring to a gentle boil. Stir in rehydrated mushrooms along with the liquid.
3. Simmer broth gently, uncovered, for 1½ hours or until reduced and has a rich, savoury flavour. You should have about 1.5 L. Add more miso to taste if you wish.
4. Remove pot from heat. Set aside until almost at room temperature.
5. Line a large sieve with a few layers of cheesecloth and place over large bowl. Strain mushroom mixture through a sieve into a large bowl reserving a few poached slices for garnish.
6. Pack liquid into several single serve containers and refrigerate for a few days or freeze.
7. To serve, thaw and heat mushroom broth. Add ½ tsp (2 mL) to each 6 oz (175 mL) cup of broth. Stir in some chopped green onion and chopped celery leaves.