Vegan Mushroom PhoBotanica Health
November 26, 2018
A meal in a bowl – this pho fills all the requirements. Savoury umami-flavoured broth with the rich flavours of sautéed shiitakes and spiked with tamarind. You may want to double up making the broth and storing in the refrigerator. From there it’s a simple meal to finish and savour.
1. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine cinnamon sticks, cloves and star anise. Stir over medium heat until spices are slightly toasted and aromatic, about 5 minutes.
2. Add onion, ginger, stock, water and tamarind paste. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 30 minutes for flavours to blend.
3. In another saucepan, heat oil over medium heat just until it begins to shimmer. Add shiitake slices and sauté for about 5 or 6 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Cook unflavoured ramen noodles according to package instructions. Strain.
5. To serve, strain aromatic and simmering broth into the saucepan containing sautéed mushrooms. Discard seasonings, gingerroot and onion. Add jalapeno slices and gently simmer for a couple of minutes. Add tamari sauce to taste.
6. Add peas, enoki mushrooms and cooked ramen noodles and heat through.
7. Stir in Botanica Chaga Liquid Herb and a drizzle of fresh lime juice. Serve piping hot garnished with pea shoots and sprouts.